SummaryEditLady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.
Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?
Heartless hit #11 on the New York Times Mass Market Paperback bestseller list on July 17, 2011, the highest position for a book in the Parasol Protectorate series. It held that position for two weeks.
Heartless was a Locus Bestseller.
- Prologue - P is for Preternatural
- Chapter One - In Which Lady Alexia Maccon Waddles
- Chapter Two - Wherein Alexia Will Not Be Flung
- Chapter Three - Matters Ghostly
- Chapter Four - Where Tethered Specters Meet
- Chapter Five - The Lair of the Octopus
- Chapter Six - In Which Mrs. Tunstell Proves Useful
- Chapter Seven - The Werewolves of Woolsey Castle
- Chapter Eight - Death by Teapot
- Chapter Nine - In Which the Past Complicates the Present
- Chapter Ten - Ivy's Agent Doom
- Chapter Eleven - Wherein Hairmuffs Become All the Rage
- Chapter Twelve - Formerly Beatrice Lefoux
- Chapter Thirteen - The Octopus Stalks at Moonlight
- Chapter Fourteen - In Which Lady Maccon Mislays Her Parasol
- Chapter Fifteen - Where Dirigibles Fear to Tread
- Chapter Sixteen - A Clot of Vampires
- Chapter Seventeen - In Which We All Learn a Little Something About Prudence
- Heartless takes place in July 1874.
Cover Art Gallery Edit
- Gail has a blog post of fashion inspired by Heartless.
- Parasol Protectorate Pinterest Board
- All Gail's Books